Date: January 5, 2020 (Sunday PM)
Bible Text: Galatians 1:6-16 | Tyler Brock
1. Church Tradition - Is the Bible the sole authority for faith and practice?
A. The meaning of tradition
B. The Roman Catholic meaning of tradition
C. The Roman Catholic view of tradition and the Bible
- They say that the Bible contains an incomplete message.
- They say that the Bible must be supplemented with tradition.
- They interpret Scripture in light of tradition.
- They believe that there are two sources of authority.
- They have made the popes and councils, not God, the author of Scripture.
- They have a wrong view of the Holy Spirit's involvement with Scripture.
- They believe that "it belongs to the church to judge of the true sense of Scripture."
D. Biblical reasons to reject church tradition
- Scripture is sufficient for faith and practice - it is the complete standard for truth.
- We know the Bible is the complete Word of God because we are told the faith was once delivered to the saints. (Jude 3)
- A seal was placed on the final chapter of the final book of the Bible, signifying its completion.
- God promised to preserve His completed Word.
- We are urged to follow the inspired tradition given by the apostles, not the uninspired traditions of men who come after them.
- Those who exalt their traditions to the level of Scripture are condemned. (Mark 7:6-13)
- Roman Catholic tradition cannot be right, because it clearly contradicts the Bible.
- Roman Catholic tradition contradicts itself - God is not the author of confusion (1 Corinthians 14:33).
2. Roman Catholic "Salvation" -The Seven Sacraments
A. The _______of the Sacraments
B. A Brief ________ of the Sacraments
- _______ (Mass)
- Holy _______
- Extreme _______
C. Reasons to reject Roman Catholic "salvation"
- Salvation is received directly from ______ through faith in ______ ______.
- ______ does not save us - it is an act of obedience. (Acts 8:35-40; 1 Peter 3:21)
- Nowhere in the _______ does it say that the church ______ salvation to men.
- The RCC has no _______ authority for adding to the _______ Christ gave to the NT church
- The _______ of a church are not means of grace but ______ and ______. (1 Corinthians 11:24-26)
- _______ is a ploy of the RCC for more control and money.